At Pennington Research Association, we respect and protect the privacy of those who visit or use our website. We want you to know how your information is used. To demonstrate our commitment to fair information practices, we have adopted these privacy guidelines.
We subscribe to these principals:
- Notice - We post our privacy statement which fully discloses what information is collected, how it is used and with whom it is share. We will make every effort to inform our visitors when our privacy statement has been modified.
- Choice - We give our visitors the option of providing information other than what is necessary to complete a form, such as a membership application.
- Security - We make reasonable efforts to protect personal information from outside access.
This privacy statement defines privacy aspects specific to the Pennington Research Association website.
It is the policy of the Pennington Research Association (PRA) not to publish for general public use any personal genealogical data which is less than 70 years old at the time of publication.
The PRA strives to protect the rights and privacy of our living relatives. We strongly encourage all involved to do their best not to publish information about anyone who is still living, unless you have their express permission to do so.
If a PRA member or researcher submits personal genealogical data which is less than 70 years old at the time it is submitted to the PRA, the PRA is not prohibited or restricted from collecting, retaining and/or the use of the genealogical data of living persons by the PRA and/or its' members.
For example, information in the John French Master File (JFMF), or similar data files, and/or reports contain genealogical data on living persons. These files are restricted in their access and dissemination to PRA members and are NOT published for general public use. These files are published in various formats for use by the PRA and PRA members only.
Approved by Pennington Research Association Board of Directors, June 2003.
Our Philosophy and Practices
We want to give you the comfort and confidence you need to fully participate in our website so that we can better serve your needs. Therefore, here are the principles governing our information practices and other privacy aspects of our website:
- The Pennington Research Association does not share, give away or sell any personal information about its' members or website visitors to any person or company for any reason.
- We provide you notice of our website information practices.
- We give you choices about how the personally identifiable information that you provide us may be used when you submit your membership application or any submission form on our website.
- We let you update or correct the personally identifiable information that you provide us when you submit your membership application.
- We work to protect personally identifiable information from loss, misuse and unauthorized alteration.
- We provide methods for you to contact us about our information practices and other aspects of privacy.
- The Pennington Research Association follows the genealogical guidelines for publishing web pages on the Internet as published by the National Genealogical Society. For more information, go to National Genealogical Society, then click on the section titled "Genealogical Standards" and then click on the section titled "Guidelines for Publishing Web Pages on the Internet".
WE PROVIDE YOU NOTICE OF OUR WEBSITE INFORMATION PRACTICES.
To maximize the value of our services, we may request information from you when you visit our websites. When we collect information from you, we'll tell you what is being collected, how it is collected, by whom it is being collected, why it's being collected, and to whom it may be disclosed. Here is how and why we collect and use information from you:
Membership Application. We provide you the opportunity to submit a membership application online. When you submit a membership application, we need certain information, such as the following:
- Your contact information - name, spouse's name, address, telephone, e-mail address
- Ancestor and Family Group information - who your oldest know Pennington ancestor is so we can help you identify which Family Group you may belong with and to help you communicate with other group members. If known, we also ask you to identify your Family Group.
- Billing information - how you want to pay for your membership
- Type of Membership information - which type of membership that you have selected (new or renewal), the date you first joined the Pennington Research Association and your dues.
- Consent information - obtain your consent to use your personal information for Pennington Research Association purposes only
We use this information to process your membership application and to give you confirmation that the application has been processed and to publish the information in the Pennington Pedigrees.
Feedback, Query and other Forms. We offer you the opportunity to provide us with feedback on the Pennington Research Association website, submit a query to us or to submit other forms to help you with your experience here at the website. We request optional information such as name and e-mail address as part of these forms. All submissions through these forms are treated as confidential and proprietary, and are used by the Pennington Research Association to help us improve the website and to process your query or other information you submit.
HOW WE USE WEB TECHNOLOGY:
Here is how and why we use some common web technologies to help manage our website:
- Cookies. A "cookie" is a small piece of information that is used on some websites. The Pennington Research Association does NOT use any cookies on our website.
- Website Usage Data. With or without cookies, our website keeps track of usage data, such as the source address that a page request is coming from (i.e., your IP address, domain name), date and time of the page request, the referring website (if any), and other parameters in the URL. We use this data to better understand website usage in the aggregate so that we know what areas of our website users prefer. This information is stored in log files and is used for aggregated and statistical reporting. This log information is not linked to personally identifiable information gathered elsewhere on the site.
WE GIVE YOU CHOICES ABOUT HOW THE PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDE US IS USED.
We give you the opportunity to keep us from using or sharing the personally identifiable information that you have provided to us for purposes other than to process your membership application.
WE LET YOU UPDATE OR CORRECT THE PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDE US.
We provide you the opportunity to update or correct the personally identifiable information that you provide us.
WE WORK TO PROTECT PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION FROM LOSS, MISUSE AND UNAUTHORIZED ALTERATION.
We employ industry recognized security safeguards to help protect the personally identifiable information that you have provided to us from loss, misuse and unauthorized alteration.
We work to protect personally identifiable information stored on the site's servers from unauthorized access using commercially available computer security products, such as firewalls, as well as carefully developed security procedures and practices.
WE PROVIDE VARIOUS WAYS TO CONTACT US ABOUT OUR INFORMATION PRACTICES AND OTHER ASPECTS OF PRIVACY.
Updated: October 29, 2009